Action to Control Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes
To test treatment strategies aimed at reducing CV events in type 2 diabetes. The trial is designed to test the effects of major CVD events of intensive glycemia control, of treatment to increase HDL-cholesterol and lower triglycerides (in the context of good LDL-c and glycemias control), and of intensive blood pressure control (in the context of good glycemia control). On February 6 2008 the intensive arm of ACCORD was stopped and all intensive glycemia participants were “transitioned” to the standard glycemia arm of the trial due to an increase in mortality. All other arms continued as per protocol.
Randomized, multicenter, double 2X2 factorial design.
The primary endpoints are Reduction in blood Pressure, Reduction in Heart Rate, Modify lipids. Secondary endpoints: Platelet aggregation. Not adjudicated
Number of Patients
Number of Sites
Number of Countries
- ACCORD Study Group, Gerstein HC, Miller ME, Byington RP, Goff DC Jr, Bigger JT, Buse JB, Cushman WC, Genuth S, Ismail-Beigi F, Grimm RH Jr, Probstfield JL, Simons-Morton DG, Friedewald WT. Effects of intensive glucose lowering in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2008;358:2545-59.
- ACCORD Study Group and ACCORD Eye Study Group, Chew EY, Ambrosius WT, Davis MD, Danis RP, Gangaputra S, Greven CM, Hubbard L, Esser BA, Lovato JF, Perdue LH, Goff DC, Cushman WC, Ginsberg HN, Elam MB, Genuth S, Gerstein HC, Schubart U, Fine LJ. Effects of Medical Therapies on Retinopathy Progression in Type 2 Diabetes. N Engl J Med 2010;363:233-44.
- ACCORD Study Group, Cushman WC, Evans GW, Byington RP, Goff DC Jr, Grimm RH Jr, Cutler JA, Simons-Morton DG, Basile JN, Corson MA, Probstfield JL, Katz L, Peterson KA, Friedewald WT, Buse JB, Bigger JT, Gerstein HC, Ismail-Beigi F. Effects of Intensive Blood-Pressure Control in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. N Engl J Med 2010;362:1575-85.
- ACCORD Study Group, Ginsberg HN, Elam MB, Lovato LC, Crouse JR 3rd, Leiter LA, Linz P, Friedewald WT, Buse JB, Gerstein HC, Probstfield J, Grimm RH, Ismail-Beigi F, Bigger JT, Goff DC Jr, Cushman WC, Simons-Morton DG, Byington RP. Effects of Combination Lipid Therapy in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. N Engl J Med 2010;362:1563-74.
- ACCORD Study Group, Gerstein HC, Miller ME, Ismail-Beigi F, Largay J, McDonald C, Lochnan HA, Booth GL. Effects of intensive glycaemic control on ischaemic heart disease: analysis of data from the randomised, controlled ACCORD trial. Lancet. 2014 Nov 29;384(9958):1936-41. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(14)60611-5. Epub 2014 Jul 31. PMID: 25088437